For thousands of years the use of smoke, vapor, herbs and incense have been used by various cultures to connect humans with the spirit world.
Dried white sage in particular has been used by Native American Shamans for several millennia in ritual to cleanse any evil, anger, illness and conflict. The white sage smoke attaches to negative energy and as it dissipates the field of a person is cleansed. Some ideal times for smudging rituals are:
- When moving into a new residence
- When beginning a new job or starting a new business
- Before and after a guest enters your home
- Before meditation, yoga or healing session
- Upon returning home from crowded and noisy situations
- After an argument or illness
- Burn one end until it starts to flame.
- Blow it out, and allow the smoke to envelope the area