Some possible traditional uses of Wild Raw Muira Puama Root Powder may include:
- May support healthy circulation and vitality levels
- May support digestive health & biological impulses
- May support a healthy sensory response
- May support a healthy stress response
- May possibly be used to support a positive mental outlook
- May be used as a great invigorator for both genders
1) Muira Puama Is an Aphrodisiac
Muira puama increased sexual desire in 60% of men with initial low libido and improved erectile function in 50% of men with a poor erection. Muira puama also improved sexual desire, sexual fantasies, and the ability to reach orgasm in 65% of women with sexual dysfunctions [R].
Moreover, muira puama increases libido. Muira puama combined with ginkgo biloba (Herbal vX, 175 mg muira puama and 16 mg of gingko) increased sex drive in 65% of 202 women who reported low sex drive [R].
Muira puama supplements of (1000 – 1500 mg daily) for 2 weeks increased libido in 60% of 262 men with low libido [R].
2) Muira Puama Can Stop the Progression of Alzheimer’s Disease
Muira puama is considered a “brain tonic” and protects the brain in Alzheimer’s [R].
- Preventing cognitive impairment
- Decreasing brain amyloid plaque deposits
- Decreasing hippocampal (brain memory center) loss caused by amyloid plaques
- Inhibiting enzymes that break down acetylcholine in the brain (hippocampus and striatum), similar to how Alzheimer’s treatments work
3) Muira Puama Can Enhance Memory
Muira puama improved memory retrieval without interfering with acquisition or consolidation in mice. Old mice given muira puama exhibited more memory improvement than young mice without muira puama [R].
Muira puama also restored memory in mice with brain damage [R].
Moreover, muira puama + a 5-HT2A blocker is as effective as two blockers, which is the treatment used to enhance memory consolidation [R].
4) Muira Puama Promotes the Growth of Neurons Which Can Help with Memory and Learning Processes
In cell-based studies, some constituents of muira puama (ptychonal hemiacetal and ptychonal) promoted the growth of neurons by increasing NGF [R].
5) Muira Puama May Benefit the Brain by Decreasing Damage to Neurons
In mice, antioxidants from muira puama were able to cross the blood brain barrier and reduce damaging oxidative stress [R].
In cell-based studies, muira puama extract protected neurons from oxidative stress induced by lack of glucose and oxygen [R].
6) Muira Puama Helps with Stress-Induced Depression
Chronic stress can lead to HPA-axis dysfunction, which is often found in depression. In mice, muira Puama extract treated stress-induced depression as effectively as an antidepressant (imipramine) [R].
7) Muira Puama Helps with Stress and Anxiety
Stress increases cortisol and blood sugar. Muira puama prevents a stress-induced increase in cortisol and blood glucose in mice [R].
Muira puama reduced anxiety behaviors that mice exhibit after exposure to stress [R].
8) Muira Puama Helps with Fatigue
Muira puama is effective in treating weakness after an illness or a general lack of energy. It helps with mental or physical fatigue, irritability, and headaches [R].
9) Muira Puama May Reduce Cholesterol and Body Fat
In rats, muira puama reduces fat deposits, total cholesterol, and increases lean body mass [R].
A case report of a 45-year-old man taking 50-100mg of muira puama resin twice a day for three months included [R]:
- Gaining 15 pounds of muscle mass
- Decreasing body fat percentage from 18 to 13%
- Dropping bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Increasing good cholesterol (HDL)
Suggested Use: Mix 1 tablespoon with juice, yogurt or add to your favorite smoothie.